Based in Belgrade, Serbia
January 25, 2019
Derail Valley is an open world train simulator for PC and PCVR.
Take control over hundreds of tons rolling on steel rails, while traversing beautiful, challenging natural environments. Make deliveries of cargo between various industries spread across a vast open world. Earn money, buy new licenses and advance your career as a train engineer, all in a seamless, emergent playthrough.
What makes Derail Valley different from other train simulators?
You can feel the physics. Walk without restrictions, in and out of locomotives, changing them as you see fit. Couple and uncouple trains as you complete your deliveries. Choose new deliveries freely. Take many at once if you will. Service your trains after derailing. Do this all spontaneously, and at any point you can save and continue later.
VR or non-VR?
Both. Derail Valley fully supports playing on a regular PC, using mouse and keyboard on a flat screen, but virtual reality is where it really shines. In VR you can, for the first time ever, truly be inside train cabs and operate controls with your own hands. Derail Valley supports all major PC VR headsets.
Derail Valley is developed by a small team, determined to make it one of the best train simulators in the world, and one of the best VR games in 2020. Having started from scratch a couple of years ago, the team has grown and has made massive progress since.
- Native VR support (optional)
- Physics driven simulation
- Open world freedom
- Career building gameplay
- Accidents & service costs
- DLC-free business model
See the Community Unlocks (Roadmap) here.
After launching Switchcars in 2016, Slobodan Stevic teamed up with friends Nenad Ognjanovic and Ivan Notaros to create a highly ambitious project Derail Valley, seeing room for a next-gen train simulator. Months later the trio released the free, award-winning, VR demo.
In 2017, having dropped to only Slobodan and Nenad, the team struggled to continue the project, eventually getting it funded by the Serbian Innovation Fund and growing the scope to an open world experience. The team grew to 5 members, successfully releasing the game in early 2019, into Early Access.After release & Overhauled
Following the positive reception of Derail Valley, the team grew once more, this time to 8 members, releasing frequent patches to the game. Soon the team began preparing a massive overhaul update that would take more than a year to complete. In the May of 2020, the update was released titled Derail Valley: Overhauled.
Derail Valley: Overhauled - Trailer (YouTube):
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "MSI VR JAM 2017 - 3rd place award" | Taipei, January 23, 2017
- "GameUp 2017 - 1st place award" | Belgrade, March 18, 2017
- "Casual Connect Kyiv 2017 - Kids & Family nominee" | Kyiv, October 26, 2017
- "Serbian Innovation Fund - MINIGRANTS award" | Belgrade, December 8, 2017
- "A creation capable of pleasing both thrill-seeking virtual vandals and serious rail enthusiasts" - Tim Stone, Rock Paper Shotgun
- "Once you’ve nailed Half-Life: Alyx there’s only one place to go… Derail Valley." - Dave James, PCGamesN
- "Promises to be a realistic (and immersive) train simulator" - Scott Hayden, RoadtoVR
- "The Winners of MSI's Global VR Jam Include Block Rocking Beats, Mass Exodus and Derail Valley" - Upload team, UploadVR
Altfuture is an independent game development team based in Belgrade, Serbia. Our goal is to push the limits of utility and design with our custom-made software, and launch as many revolutionary projects as possible.
More information on Altfuture, our logo & relevant media are available here.
CEO, Founder & Lead Designer
CTO, Co-founder & Lead Programmer