Based in Belgrade, Serbia
March 4th 2016
Steam (Windows / Linux)
Switchcars is a vehicular roguelike arcade set in a broken spacetime. Escape alien beasts over procedural environments, using more than 1,000 vehicles. You'll crash or run out of fuel, but that's okay - you'll switch to another vehicle. All you need to do is reach the year 2055. In theory!
HistoryInception of Switchcars
The idea behind Switchcars existed for many years, but it wasn't until having played Vlambeer's Super Crate Box that I got the crucial idea for vehicle-switching. Development began in November 2012, when a friend suggested I could make Switchcars by myself. It is my first game, and I have learned how to program during the long process of making it, mostly working full-time on it with short savings and in (probably extremely) humble conditions.About the author
Switchcars is being made by a Serbian game developer, Slobodan Stevic. Originally a 3D artist, I worked in various fields in the games industry, involved in projects such as Space Engineers and Infinity: Battlescape, among others. My work on Switchcars includes programming, game design, vehicle design, pixel art, sound recording, sound design, music production, promotion and business-related tasks. For most of the game's development I worked alone, but as it's slowly coming closer to release the last months, the more people have been getting involved.
- New kind of gameplay Switch instantly between vehicles in your inventory to move as fast as possible.
- Over 1,000 vehicles Nearly all kinds you can imagine, all driveable, with different behaviors. There's a bit more than a thousand actually, and more is yet to come.
- Procedural environments Forests, streets, ice plains, outer space, train yards, minefields - Around 100 unlockable types of terrain, diverse traffic to dodge, as well as more than 150 static scenery objects.
- Time travel The playable years are 1950 to 2055. The point in time dictates available vehicles and environments, but also difficulty. Can you make it to the end and get an interstellar spaceship, the ultimate vehicle?
- Vehicle upgrades Rocket-propelled motorcycle with caterpillar tracks and machine guns? Yes! There are 40 powerups that can be used on any vehicle, altering their performance and appearance.
- Content browser Browse vehicles, lanes or powerups you've unlocked. See how many you haven't seen yet.
- Immensely replayable Due to agile gameplay and procedural nature of the game, the rounds are always different, relatively short and unpredictable - in classic action roguelike manner.
- High fidelity Crunchy crashes, distinctive and colorful pixel art, highly detailed sound and original adaptive music.
About this press kit page
Text on this page was last revised in March 2016. New screenshots were added in October 2016. Minor updates to certain links were made on February 7th 2017.
Early Access Trailer YouTube
Steam Greenlight Trailer YouTube
Switchcars Trailer: The Run YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Winner of the jury review at Playfield Gamescom Contest 2015" Cologne, 24 July, 2015
- "Winner of two awards at Mikser Virtual Balkan 2014 festival." Belgrade, June, 2014
- "Absolutely a game that I needed to write about right now"
- Phil Savage, PC Gamer
- "It spells a damn good game, with a high level of replayability"
- Dann Sullivan, Final Boss Fight
- "It feels great to play as a fast-paced, chaotic action arcade game"
- Chris Priestman, Pocket Gamer
- "Time-trial hitchhiking while being pursued by a gigantic murderous landfish"
- Angus Morrison, PC Gamer
- "Take some of the DNA from the original Grand Theft Auto and splice it with a bit of roguelike"
- Paul Hack, Indiestatik
- "Switchcars has been a part of him his whole life"
- Ana Jelicic, Player Two
Slobodan's development blog altfuture.tumblr.com.
Animated gifs of the game (make sure to use "Next" buttons on the page) switchcarsgame.com.
Altfuture is a three-person company based in Belgrade, Serbia, consisting of Slobodan Stevic, Ivan Notaros and Nenad Ognjanovic. The company is currently working on two games: Switchcars and Derail Valley.
More information on Altfuture, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Pixel art, Sound, Music, Game Design and Programming